Monday, July 2, 2012

Week Five Notes



This course has been invaluable. As a debate teacher, I was excited to see this course was a research class. Once we started, I quickly realized how different action research was from traditional research. The processes taught in this course were very helpful in identifying what I needed to focus on in my action research project.
From the beginning of this course, I was introduced to real life action research projects. By studying what others have done, I was able to define for myself what action research is really all about. Principal Donnan Stoicovy (Dana Text) is my new, unexpected hero. I was inspired by all that this woman was able to achieve with planning and dedication. It was enlightening to read about the successes as well as the difficulties she experienced throughout this process. I would have loved to have seen an interview with Ms. Stoicovy as well as the other examples in the Dana text.
In examining this course, I must mention the blogs, discussion forums, and weekly web conferences. All three of these have been immensely useful. I didn’t have any prior experience with blogs and now I am proud to call myself a blogger! The discussion forums provided consistent feedback from a variety of sources. As far as the weekly web conferences, all I can say is thank you Dr. Abshire. She was amazing and patient. She made sure to thoroughly cover any question anyone had. She also made it seem like every question was a good question – even if she had already previous answered it. This course was very enlightening and I am excited to start implementing my action research project.

2 comments:

  1. Before I wrote my reflection, I reviewed each of the assignments we submitted. I was glad to be reminded from our Week 1 assignment to explain the difference between action research and traditional educational research, as you have mentioned. With action research we are focused on making a change in HOW we do things, not why. Why won't change anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie,

    The support and differentiated learning environment was extremely helpful. Discussion Board posts were a place for peer collaboration and insight. I also agree that Dr. Abshire was equally willing to repeat or make sure every question was answered during conference times. Her enthusiasm and caring nature made it equally exciting to work hard. Best of luck! I will continue to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete